Clear all

Horse Racing Betting News Wednesday 3/18/20

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Betting news, trends, odds and predictions for from various handicappers and websites for Wednesday 3/18/20

Posted : March 18, 2020 9:48 am
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

By Mike Dempsey

It was like the Wild Wild West on Tuesday, as we headed out to Sam Houston Park in Texas and Will Rogers Downs in Oklahoma.

The first race on my Best Plays Report was the opener at Will Rogers Downs, a track I admit I don’t think I have ever placed a wager at in the past. My second choice Savvy Splendor was hammered down to 1-9 while my top pick Ffurgie drifted up from a 4-1 morning line to 8-1.

My top pick ran down the chalk in the stretch and returned $18.60, the exacta paid $26.60 and the $1 trifecta we hit cold for $35.70.

Just like that Will Rogers became my favorite track in the U.S. Well, not for long as my second choice won the fourth race and we missed the exacta. We hit the exacta in the ninth race that paid $39.40, so we cashed nice tickets in two of the three races.

At Sam Houston I whiffed completely on one race and the other three were won by my second or third choices. Not the stimulus plan I wanted for my wagering bankroll from the great state of Texas.

The big news yesterday was the announcement that the Kentucky Derby will be postponed until Sept 5. There is still no word on an official date for either the Preakness Stakes or Belmont Stakes. You would think the three tracks would have worked together, but officials at the NYRA said they were not in communication with Churchill Downs on Monday.

Tracks continue to run with no spectators, and today we will head out to Gulfstream Park and Fair Grounds for some action. The Governor of Louisiana gave the go ahead for Fair Grounds to continue racing, so it looks like as of now that the $1 million Louisiana Derby will go on as planned on Saturday.

My Best Plays Report for Wednesday includes my eight strongest plays from Fair Grounds and Gulfstream Park.

Horseplayers can stream all of the action using the Watch TVG App. The horse betting company based in the U.S. is offering a risk free bet up to $200 for new players.

If you are new to horse racing, both Fair Grounds and the New York Racing Association have apps to stream the action on Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Firestick.

Today’s Featured Race of the Day from Gulfstream Park:

GP Race 4 Md $12,500 (2:31 ET)
#3 Dardanellos 9-2
#8 Luck of the Crook 6-1
#1 Gambit 9-5
#5 Morning Tice 12-1

Analysis: Dardanellos should be fitter for his second start off a six-month layoff. Last out off the bench this guy stalked the early pace from the outside and finished evenly in a fourth-place finish, beaten 5 3/4 lengths at 6-1. This guy showed some ability last year with a second and a third in his first two career starts versus tougher. He figures to move forward second off the bench and appears to have more upside than most of these.

Luck of the Crook came off a 10-month layoff last out where he made a good late rally to finish in the runner up spot going six furlongs. He stretches out to a mile for the first time and has plenty of pedigree to handle more ground. He is by Shackleford out of a FuPeg mare, her first foal to race. The barn is 12% winners (with a +ROI) moving runners from sprint to route.

Wagering
WIN: #3 to win at 7-2 or better.
EX: 3,8 / 1,3,5,8
TRI: 3,8 / 1,3,5,8 / 1,3,4,5,8

Today’s Featured Race of the Day from Fair Grounds:

FG Race 6 Md Sp Wt (2:55 CT)
#7 Balook 7-2
#9 Aly's Charm 5-1
#11 Grand Isle Girl 5-2
#10 The Missing Piece 15-1

Analysis: Balook stretches back out to two turns here after making a good late rally to finish in the runner up spot last out going 5 1/2 furlongs over the turf here. She was seventh two back going a mile over good ground after a promising debut at 5 1/2 furlongs three back where she was beaten just a neck after a good late run. She has enough pedigree for the extra ground, by Jack Milton out of a Yes It's True mare that has dropped a pair of winners including one turf winner.

Aly's Charm tracked the early pace and weakened to finish fifth last out on yielding ground at a mile. Two back she made a mile late run to fish fourth at today's 7 1/2-furlong distance. The third-place finisher Playin N Traffic was a next out grad on March 7. She figures to bounce back here with some firmer footing which she will get today. She is out of an Alysheba mare that has dropped four winners including one turf winner.

Wagering
WIN: #7 to win at 3-1 or better.
EX: 7,9 / 7,9,10,11
TRI: 7,9 / 7,9,10,11 / 1,7,9,10,11

Posted : March 18, 2020 9:51 am
Share: