0 Likes
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

At the Gate - Sunday
December 10, 2017
By Mike Dempsey
VegasInsider.com

It turned out I was wrong about Aqueduct, as the snow did not stop them from completing their card, but we fared pretty well shifting our attention to the Gulfstream Park card on Saturday.

I did not fare well on the races making up the Clasico del Caribe portion of the card, five races with entrants from South America, but the opening six stakes on the card we made out good.

I had three of the winners on top in those six races including Malibu Saint at $35.20. If you played doubles using my top pair you scored for $95.40, $135.60, $35.20, and $30.60.

It is back to the Big A today, with the snow passing and we might even see the sun by the afternoon. First post for the nine-race card is 12:20 ET.

The early Pick 5 could end up chalky as Combat Controller in the opener looks tough at even money in a five-horse field and Backyard Heaven (3-5) will be tough to beat in the fourth race.

My Best Plays Report for Saturday includes my seven strongest plays from Aqueduct and Gulfstream Park.

To purchase my Aqueduct and Best Plays Reports for Sunday click here.

Here is the opening race from Aqueduct to get the day off to a good start:

AQU Race 1 Clm $25,000B (12:20 ET)
#1 Combat Controller 1-1
#4 Toohottoevenspeak 6-1
#5 Thirst for Victory 5-2
#3 The Orphan Miracle 4-1

Analysis: Combat Controller can get the day off to a chalky start. The Jacobson trainee pressed the early pace, took over and drew off late to beat $14,000 non-winners of three in his second start off the claim. The gelding steps up a condition here but looks headed in the right direction form wise and does not need to move forward much off his last effort to repeat.

Toohottoevenspeak dueled for the early lead and weakened to finish fourth last out going a mile at Belmont Park against $35,000 non-winners of three. He ran better two back in a runner up finish at that level. He tends to land for minor shares and it could be more of the same in this spot.

Wagering
WIN: #1 to win at 6-5 or better.
EX: 1 / 4,5
TRI: no play

Today’s Featured Race of the Day from Aqueduct:

AQU Race 7 Alw $57,000N1X (3:17 ET)
#1 Nothingbutasmile 1-1
#4 Tiffanys Freud 8-1
#3 Same Kinda Crazy 2-1
#7 Rock Ave. Road 8-1

Analysis: Nothingbutasmile was beaten just a neck last out on turf in her second try at this level. She broke her maiden in her debut on turf going seven furlongs at 10-1. She looks better with each outing and catches a group of state breds she should be able to handle here. She is out of the stakes winner Salty Farma ($355,095) who has dropped two other turf winners. The main knock is her price is going to be puny.

Tiiffanys Freud took 16 tries to break her maiden and then she was beaten just a head in her first start against winners. She was seventh and sixth in her two latest starts but was only beaten two and three lengths. her best puts her in the mix here and the 8-1 morning line looks fair enough.

Wagering
WIN: #1 to win at 6-5 or better.
EX: 1,4 / 1,3,4,7
TRI: 1,4 / 1,3,4,7 / 1,3,4,7,8

Today’s Featured Race of the Day from Gulfstream Park:

GP Race 7 Md Sp Wt (3:35 ET)
#2 Show Girl 7-2
#3 Treasure in Heaven 8-5
#7 Sara Street 6-1
#5 Muchacha Uno 6-1

Analysis: Show Girl makes her debut for the Casse barn that is 16% winners with first timers. The filly was a $300,000 Ocala purchase, by Distorted Humor out of the stakes winner Queen of Song ($62,625) who has dropped two foals to race with one winner. She has been prepping at Palm Meadows with a solid looking morning tab.

Treasure in Heaven tracked the early pace and did not have enough punch left late in a third-place finish in her debut, beaten two lengths for the top spot at 9-1 in a field of 12 at the fall Keeneland meeting. These do not look as tough for the Lynch barn. She is out of the stakes winner Richwoman ($169,120) who has dropped four other foals to race, all winners.

Wagering
WIN: #2 to win at 3-1 or better.
EX: 2,3 / 2,3,5,7
TRI: 2,3 / 2,3,5,7 / 2,3,5,6,7

Live Longshots:
These are price plays for exotic players looking to find a couple of extra contenders to use in their trifecta and superfecta wagers. Or for those with smaller bankrolls, you might want to get in a small win-place wager.

Aqueduct
R3: #2 California Night 8-1
R4: #7 Unforesseable 15-1
R5: #6 Mutaraamy 8-1
R6: #1 Karma Delight 8-1
R7: #4 Tiffanys Freud 8-1
R7: #7 Rock Ave. Road 8-1

Good luck today!

Posted : December 10, 2017 10:06 am
Share: