Clear all

NHL Betting News and Notes Friday, November 17th, 2017

4 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

NHL betting trends, odds and predictions for Friday, November 17th, 2017 from various handicappers and websites

Posted : November 17, 2017 10:04 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

NY RANGERS (9-8-0-2, 20 pts.) at COLUMBUS (11-7-0-1, 23 pts.)

Top Trends for this game.
NY RANGERS are 2-8 ATS (-7.9 Units) on Friday nights over the last 2 seasons.
COLUMBUS is 37-17 ATS (+56.1 Units) first half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
COLUMBUS is 14-4 ATS (+18.1 Units) on Friday nights over the last 2 seasons.
COLUMBUS is 18-5 ATS (+12.7 Units) when playing with 2 days rest over the last 2 seasons.
COLUMBUS is 27-17 ATS (+8.2 Units) revenging a loss versus opponent over the last 2 seasons.
COLUMBUS is 19-7 ATS (+10.3 Units) when playing against a team with a losing record in the first half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
NY RANGERS are 80-59 ATS (+139.5 Units) in road games in November games since 1996.
NY RANGERS are 9-2 ATS (+7.0 Units) in road games after 3 or more consecutive overs over the last 2 seasons.
NY RANGERS are 11-3 ATS (+14.2 Units) in road games after allowing 4 goals or more over the last 2 seasons.

Head-to-Head Series History
NY RANGERS is 7-4 (+2.2 Units) against the spread versus COLUMBUS over the last 3 seasons
NY RANGERS is 7-4-0 straight up against COLUMBUS over the last 3 seasons
8 of 11 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+5.0 Units)

BUFFALO (5-9-0-4, 14 pts.) at DETROIT (9-8-0-2, 20 pts.)

There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

Head-to-Head Series History
BUFFALO is 5-5 (+0.9 Units) against the spread versus DETROIT over the last 3 seasons
DETROIT is 5-5-0 straight up against BUFFALO over the last 3 seasons
6 of 9 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+3.1 Units)

NY RANGERS @ COLUMBUS
The total has gone OVER in 5 of NY Rangers's last 5 games
NY Rangers is 8-1 ATS in its last 9 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Columbus's last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 10 of Columbus's last 13 games when playing NY Rangers

BUFFALO @ DETROIT
Buffalo is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Detroit
Buffalo is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Detroit
Detroit is 7-1 ATS in its last 8 games at home
Detroit is 17-4 SU in its last 21 games when playing at home against Buffalo

StatFox Super Situations

NY RANGERS at COLUMBUS
Play Against - Road underdogs of +100 to +150 against the money line (NY RANGERS) after having won 4 of their last 5 games, on Friday nights 105-38 since 1997. ( 73.4% | 51.0 units )

NY RANGERS at COLUMBUS
Play On - Home Favorites against the money line (COLUMBUS) off a road win by 1 goal, with a winning record in the first half of the season 90-35 over the last 5 seasons. ( 72.0% | 41.7 units ) 9-3 this year. ( 75.0% | 4.6 units )

NY RANGERS at COLUMBUS
Play On - Home teams against the money line (COLUMBUS) off a road win by 1 goal, with a winning record in the first half of the season 100-44 over the last 5 seasons. ( 69.4% | 43.1 units ) 10-5 this year. ( 66.7% | 3.7 units )

Posted : November 17, 2017 10:06 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

NHL Knowledge

Rangers are 6-4 in their last ten games with Columbus; road teams won four of last six series games. Over is 6-2 in last eight series games. Rangers won three of last five visits to Ohio. New York won six of its last seven games; they split their last four road games. Eight of their last nine games went over total. Blue Jackets won last two games 2-1 in OT/SO; they lost last two home games. Last four Columbus games stayed under.

Buffalo won its last four games with Detroit; under is 5-1-1 in their last seven games. Sabres won three of last four visits to the Motor City. Buffalo lost six of its last eight games, last two in OT; they lost four of last five road games. Three of their last four games stayed under. Detroit is 5-3 in its last eight games, winning two of last three at home; under is 7-3 in their last 10 games.

Armadillosports.com

Posted : November 17, 2017 10:07 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

NHL Picks and Betting Tips
By Parker Michaels
Bangthebook.com

MORNING LINE REPORT

It’s a rare moment when I show some emotion over a game nowadays. If you were to watch a game with me you would likely have no idea who I was cheering for as I’m about as stoic as it gets, even when my team scores an overtime winning goal. This hasn’t always been the case. In fact, I’m generally a person who wears his heart on his sleeve and you pretty much always know how I’m feeling. I used to get incredibly worked up over a game and each individual result was like a life and death situation.

That’s the joy of being a sports fan as we get to escape from the crappy realities of our real lives sometimes and throw all of our pent-up emotions into cheering for and against whoever we want.

That all changed for me just over the past few years as I started to become more serious about my sports handicapping. One of the greatest things I learned is you have to learn how to control your emotions if you want to be consistently successful. Our human brain is designed to let our emotional bias make poor decisions for us and often tricks us into believing things that aren’t really true. We see overreactions in the sports world on a daily basis often after a big blowout where the winning team is then overvalued in the market for their next game.

That’s why last night was so odd for me as I seemed to let out all of November’s pent-up frustration in one deliriously strange night. It had been a tough month to this point despite continuing to crush the closing line and seeming like all the puck bounces were going against us.

I was out with some friends last night and when I returned home to check the scores it appeared those bad bounces were continuing as I was staring a 0-5 start dead in the eye. The Leafs were in a scoreless draw with the Devils, the Coyotes were down a goal after 40 minutes, the Stars were getting pumped by the Bolts and both the Wild and the Jets were down two goals. If you were in my living room with me at that point you would have known exactly how I was feeling as there was no stoic expression at that time.

I dug out a tub of ice cream and sat down to drown my sorrows and watch the Leafs break my heart in overtime. Except they didn’t. After an incredibly entertaining extra session highlighted by more Frederik Andersen awesomeness, William Nylander snapped home a shot to give Toronto the win. I might have woke up a neighbour or two with the yell I let out as some frustration was released.

That yell seemed to serve as a battle call as I flipped to the Jets game and watched them score a late tying goal and then win in a shootout. At the same time the Wild were lighting up the Predators late in the third, erasing a 4-2 deficit for a sudden 6-4 win. And this was all after an incredibly unexpected third period comeback by Arizona to earn their first regulation win of the season in Montreal. I didn’t even care about the Stars being down 6-1 at that point although seriously now, why does Dallas feel the need to continue breaking my heart this season.

A Vegas win later in the night was the icing on top of the most unbelievable up and down night of the season that ended up with five wins to just the one defeat for +5.01 units. November is suddenly in the black and we’ve hit a new season high overall.

We owe a whole lot of chocolates after last night’s efforts from multiple players and teams and it’s probably a good thing we only have two games on the card tonight as we recover from an exhausting and rare emotional night.

NEW YORK RANGERS @ COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

Projected Goaltenders
NY Rangers – Henrik Lundqvist (confirmed)
Columbus – Sergei Bobrovsky (likely)

Injury Report
NY Rangers – no significant injuries
Columbus – Calvert (out), Wennberg (doubtful)

The New York Rangers six game win streak came to a crashing halt on Wednesday with a 6-3 loss at Chicago. I had mentioned in that preview about how the Rangers were deceptively winning with not the best under the hood numbers. The Hawks dominated possession and outscored NY 4-3 while 5-on-5. The Rangers have now been outscored 18-15 during 5-on-5 play despite winning six of the last seven. The Rangers powerplay has been lighting teams up but they went 0-for-3 against the Hawks and the recipe seems pretty simple to beating NY at this point – stop the powerplay.

New York defeated Columbus 5-3 just 11 days ago after a Columbus third period meltdown that saw NY score three powerplay goals in a game otherwise dominated by the Jackets. Columbus outscored the Rangers while 5-on-5 by a 3-1 margin with a 58.75 Corsi and held a 25-18 edge in scoring chances.

Columbus is one of the most disciplined teams in the league and have only allowed 48 powerplay opportunities to their opponents all season which is the third best mark in the league. The Jackets only average taking 6.2 penalty minutes per game which is the second best mark in the league so there’s a good chance that Rangers powerplay doesn’t get the opportunities they had in their previous meeting.

One lineup change for the Rags tonight as Brendan Smith will return on defense. Smith has been a healthy scratch the past six games as Vigneault has been unhappy with his play. Steven Kampfer will come out of the lineup and Smith will pair with Marc Staal while the other pairs remain the same.

Columbus has stopped the bleeding of a four game losing skid with a pair of 2-1 extra time wins but the offense continues to be dry. The Jackets have scored just one game in regulation time in each of the last four games.

Alexander Wennberg missed practiced again yesterday and doesn’t seem like he’ll be available again tonight although he’s officially day-to-day so we’ll see if he gets on the ice today.

This line opened short but an overnight move has brought it up to where it should be which is unfortunate as I really like Columbus tonight. We won’t be getting involved at the current number but we’ll keep an eye on it to see if the Rangers get some love and we can jump in later.

BUFFALO SABRES @ DETROT RED WINGS

Projected Goaltenders
Buffalo – Robin Lehner/Chad Johnson (unknown)
Detroit – Jimmy Howard (expected)

Injury Report
Buffalo – Josefson (out), Bogosian (out), Ristolainen (out)
Detroit – Frk (out), DeKeyser (out), Daley (questionable), Helm (probable)

The Buffalo Sabres wrap up a three game road trip tonight after dropping the first two games in overtime at Montreal and Pittsburgh. The Sabres have been playing a better brand of competitive hockey recently but have had trouble finishing games. Buffalo has jumped out to an early first period lead in each of their last three games and held the lead after 40 minutes but have been outscored 5-0 over the final 20 minutes.

The Sabres lost another defenseman last game as Taylor Fedun will miss the next six-to-eight weeks with a lower-body injury. Casey Nelson has been recalled from Rochester and practiced yesterday on the top pairing with Marco Scandella.

The Detroit Red Wings pasted Calgary on Wednesday 8-2 in a game that turned nasty over the final ten minutes. Several players were thrown out of the game including Luke Witkowski who received a game misconduct and ordered off the ice. Witkowski came back out onto the ice to engage in a fight which is incredibly stupid. The guy has zero goals in 62 career games and was automatically suspended for ten games without pay.

It soured an otherwise outstanding effort by the Wings who are quietly one of the hottest teams in the league having picked up points in six of their last eight games overall going 5-2-1. The young guns of Anthony Mantha, Dylan Larkin and Andreas Athanasiou are playing as solid of a game as anyone right now and each picked up three points in the blowout victory over the Flames.

Danny DeKeyser was hopeful to make his return this weekend but it looks like he may have to wait until next week now as he’s been ruled out for tonight. Trevor Daley left Wednesday’s game with an upper-body injury and did not return. He’s questionable for tonight but is on the ice for this morning’s skate at the moment. Darren Helm missed Wednesday’s game but is expected to be in the lineup tonight.

I wasn’t able to confirm Buffalo’s starter for tonight and with the Sabres on the front-end of a back-to-back we’ll have to wait for an announcement this morning. Jimmy Howard is in the starter’s crease for the Wings.

This line looks pretty inflated with the Wings recent run and blowout win last game so we’ll take a shot on the Sabres with this value. Buffalo is good down to +130.

Posted : November 17, 2017 5:50 pm
Share: