Clear all

NHL Betting News and Notes Sunday, October 15th, 2017

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

NHL betting trends, odds and predictions for Sunday, October 15th, 2017 from various handicappers and websites

Posted : October 15, 2017 10:11 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

NHL Knowledge

Bruins split their first four games (over 3-1); they won in Arizona last nite, a team Las Vegas has already beaten twice. Boston split its two road games. Golden Knights won 3 of their first 4 games (over 2-2), losing last game 6-3 to Detroit- they’ve split their two home games.

Anaheim won six of its last eight games with Buffalo; under is 4-1 in last five series games. Sabres lost three of last four games in the Pond. Buffalo allowed 22 goals in its 0-5 start; over is 3-1 in their last four games. Sabres are 0-3 on the road, scoring 2 goals in all three games. Ducks lost three of their last four games (under 4-0); they’re 2-2 at home this season.

Home team won last four Islander-King games; New York lost 2-1/4-2 in its last two visits to Staples Center. Last three series games went over. Islanders are 2-3 this season (under 4-1), 1-2 on road- they scored 5 goals in the three road games. Los Angeles won 3 of its 4 game (over 2-1-1)- they won two of their three home games.

Armadillosports.com

Posted : October 15, 2017 10:12 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

NHL Picks and Betting Tips
By Parker Michaels
Bangthebook.com

Welcome to the Sunday edition of the Morning Line Report. Unfortunately, we don’t have any lines to report on! With three games on tap this evening and all involving at least one team on a back-to-back, oddsmakers haven’t released lines yet with unknown goaltenders and a few key injury statuses up in the air.

BOSTON BRUINS @ VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS

Projected Goaltenders
Boston – Tuukka Rask (confirmed)
Vegas – Marc-Andre Fleury/Malcolm Subban (unknown)

Injury Report
Boston – Backes (out), Bergeron (doubtful)
Vegas – Haula (out), Marchessault (questionable), Shipachyov (probable), Fleury (questionable)

The Boston Bruins will close out a three game road trip later this afternoon after a 6-2 win in Arizona last night. The score was a little deceiving as I wasn’t left with the impression of a strong Boston attack. The Coyotes made several defensive mistakes and Louis Domingue looked really bad on a couple of goals. When the game was over I was left thinking about how terrible Arizona looked more than the good things the Bruins did.

Patrice Bergeron missed another game and is likely out again tonight. The Bruins won’t be holding a morning skate today and Cassidy said yesterday he would need a full practice before getting into a game. Boston is off until Thursday after this one so that’s probably a more likely return date but we can’t completely rule him out today yet.

Vegas continues a seven game homestand after suffering their first defeat Friday night, 6-3 to Detroit. The final score was a bit misleading as the Knights actually looked the better team through 40 minutes before a meltdown in the third period, giving up four unanswered goals.

Vegas is really pushing the pace and being aggressive which has led to an exciting brand of hockey but it has left them prone to more defensive miscues. Fortunately, having a goaltender like Marc-Andre Fleury is a nice safety net and he’s been excellent thus far with a .925 save percentage but he missed Saturday’s practice and is questionable for tonight. Gallant called it a maintenance day but then said he “hopes” he’ll be ready for tonight. Fleury did take a knee to the head in the second period Friday night but stayed in the game. If he can’t start then we’ll see Malcolm Subban which would be interesting since he’d be playing against the team who waived him just a couple weeks ago.

Another possible injury is to Jonathan Marchessault who also missed Saturday’s practice. Gallant also called that a maintenance day but we’ve already seen a few “maintenance days” this year end up being an injury so we’ll want to keep an eye open for him at the morning skate.

One injury for certain is to Erik Haula who has been placed on IR and will miss at least one week after a low hit in Friday’s game. The silver lining in this is it opens a roster spot so we’re expecting to see the debut of Vadim Shipachyov tonight. He was called up yesterday and should remain with the team at least until Haula returns which would be at least the three home games Vegas has this week. Hopefully McPhee can figure out the roster issues by then and he remains permanently with the team.

My range of -130/-142 is with Subban in net but if Fleury is okay to start it will drop a fair bit and Vegas’ starter will be the key here. If Subban starts, we will probably find some value in Boston and if Fleury starts I would probably look at backing Vegas.

BUFFALO SABRES @ ANAHEIM DUCKS

Projected Goaltenders
Buffalo – Chad Johnson (probable)
Anaheim – John Gibson/Reto Berra/Ryan Miller (unknown)

Injury Report
Buffalo – Bogosian (out), Okposo (questionable)
Anaheim – Kesler (out), Lindholm (out), Vatanen (out), Kase (out), Getzlaf (questionable), Gibson (questionable)

The Buffalo Sabres are still winless on the season after a disheartening 4-2 loss in Los Angeles last night. The Sabres played a pretty good game 5-on-5 for the most part but untimely penalties led to three LA powerplay goals, including the winner with just two minutes to play.

The look of frustration on Jack Eichel’s face when the team left the ice actually made me feel a little bad for these guys. They desperately need something good to happen and scratch out a win and I think it could happen tonight. Kyle Okposo was a scratch due to illness and we’ll see how he feels this morning and if he’ll be available tonight.

Anaheim is having more problems than just staying healthy right now as they seem to be struggling with the new stricter rules, especially when it comes to slashing. Of the Ducks 27 penalties through five games, 12 have been for slashing – including six last game at Colorado. The other end of their special teams have struggled even more as Anaheim is one of just two teams yet to score a powerplay goal (the other being the Islanders), going 0-for-17 to begin the season.

Ryan Getzlaf aggravated his lower body injury prior to Friday night’s game and was forced to sit out. He didn’t practice Saturday and is questionable for tonight. His status will obviously be key here.

Goaltender John Gibson exited Friday’s game after taking a shot off his hand or wrist in the pre-game warm-up that hurt him. He started the game and made 19 saves in the opening period but did not return for the second. Gibson seems to be okay though as he was able to go through a full workout on Saturday but it’s unknown if he’ll be in the crease tonight or if Reto Berra will get his first start. Berra was excellent in relief of Gibson making several big saves but he is a significant drop-off if he has to start.

Backup Ryan Miller is very close to returning and there’s an outside chance he could dress tonight but more than likely he’ll be ready to go when they next play again on Friday.

My range of -165/-177 is with Gibson and Getzlaf in the lineup but it will drop significantly if they are both out. I think this line will probably open below my range and we’ll find some value on Anaheim which is unfortunate since I kind of like Buffalo’s chances here tonight. I’ll provide an update on Twitter once we know more info.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS @ LOS ANGELES KINGS

Projected Goaltenders
New York – Jaroslav Halak (confirmed)
Los Angeles – Jonathan Quick/Darcy Kuemper (unknown)

Injury Report
New York – no significant injuries
Los Angeles – Gaborik (out)

The Islanders play the third leg of their California trip tonight after a 40-save effort from Thomas Greiss in last night’s 3-1 win at San Jose. New York was out of sorts most of the game as the Sharks consistently outworked them but Greiss stole two points for them.

Los Angeles remained just one of two unbeaten teams in regulation to begin the season (the other being the Ottawa Senators if you can believe it) knocking off Buffalo last night. The Kings have only allowed seven goals through four games now and Jonathan Quick has looked outstanding. He made several highlight reel saves last night, including a goal line dive which seemed to turn the tide in the third period.

It was strange watching this game as I felt like it was 2012 again as Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty were flying all over the place dominating the puck, just like when they brought LA their first Stanley Cup.

I’m not sure how this is possible but Brown is actually leading the team in goals (4) and tied for the team lead in points (6) with Kopitar through their first four games. Brown looks like he’s found the fountain of youth out there and while I can’t imagine it lasting, it’s certainly a huge boost for the Kings right now.

I would think Darcy Kuemper gets the start tonight but Stevens said in the post-game he wasn’t sure who would start tonight. His comments kind of suggested he might go back to Quick but it’s been difficult to pinpoint starters this year for some reason. The Kings will be on the ice at 10:30am local time for an optional skate so hopefully we’ll find out then.

My range of -141/-157 is with Kuemper in net and will go up slightly if Quick starts. I think this line will likely open within my range but I’m hoping to find some value in the Kings tonight. With no lines available yet it will be a morning of waiting.

Posted : October 15, 2017 10:17 am
Share: