Clear all

Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Thursday, October 12th, 2017

27 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Free Picks for Thursday, October 12th, 2017 from some of the nations best and worst handicappers

Posted : October 12, 2017 10:50 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joey Juice

We know one thing about UL Lafayette, that is they do not have a problem scoring the football, and we know another thing about Texas state and that is they have a terribly weak defense to say the least.

The Ragin’ Cajuns should light this team up like a Christmas tree and may go over the total themselves. A look inside the number shows that the over is 4-1 last five times these two teams met.

Another big factor is the UL Lafayette defense has truly struggled at times this season, so we can expect Texas State to actually give us some scoring. Besides, the over is 5-0 in Texas State's last five road games vs teams with losing home records.

Play the Over.

3* TEXAS STATE-UL LAFAYETTE OVER

Posted : October 12, 2017 10:54 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tommy Brunson

After a low-scoring affair last Thursday night between New England and Tampa Bay, I will look for a Thursday night shoot-out to breakout this evening in Carolina when the Panthers host the Eagles.

Both teams have been scoring some points in recent weeks, as Philly comes in with Overs played in 3 of their last 4 games, and for the season the Carson Wentz-led Birds are averaging over 27 points per game.

Carolina meanwhile has rung up 60 points their last pair of games, and the Over has connected in each of the Panthers last 3 games.

These teams did not play last season, but the Over is 4-1 the last 5 times they have squared off against one another, that includes Overs in '06, '09, '12 and '14.

Wentz and Newton capable of putting on a show, and both defenses also capable of chipping in with a key turnover here and there.

Eagles-Panthers Over.

3* PHILADELPHIA-CAROLINA OVER

Posted : October 12, 2017 10:54 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

Your Thursday freebie is the Nationals over the Cubs.

I am not going into any statistic copy here, I am just going to tell you that the rain out on Tuesday was a sign from the Baseball Gods that this is Washington's series.

The defending champion Cubs let yesterday's game slip away when they could not figure out a way to solve Stephen Strasburg, and while Gio Gonzalez is no Strasburg, he doesn't have to be. Tanner Roark will be ready to go at any sign of trouble, and quite frankly with Trea Turner getting off the schneid yesterday, I have a strong feeling the Nationals are going to put something together against Kyle Hendricks who they were unable to solve in Game One.

Gut feeling tonight is that good old "Uncle Mo" was on the plane flight back to D.C. with the Nationals, and NOT the Cubbies.

I am backing the Nats to advance with their first postseason series win in franchise history.

3* WASHINGTON

Posted : October 12, 2017 10:55 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

Cubs vs. Nationals
Play: Cubs -106

I'll gladly back the Cubs at a pick'em in Game 5. Chicago will send out their best starter going right now in Kyle Hendricks, who was sensational in Game 1, allowing just 2 hits over 7 innings of the Cubs 3-0 win. With Strasburg moving up to take the ball in Game 4, the Nationals are turning to Gio Gonzalez, who wasn't great in his start in Game 3, giving up 3 runs in 5 innings and was lucky it wasn't worse, as he gave up 2 home runs. That poor showing coincided with his poor finish to the season and I just think this will be the game the Cubs offense comes to life. This team is not afraid of the moment and will go into it with all the confidence in the world. I expect them to deliver and move on the NLCS.

Posted : October 12, 2017 10:55 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Mike Lundin

St Louis at Florida
Play: Florida -118

The St. Louis Blues are 4-0-0 on the season, but here they'll play their third game in four days while the Panthers have been off since a 5-4 victory against the Lightning on Oct. 7.

Note that the Panthers are 18-8 in their last 26 games playing on three or more days rest and I think the rest advantage will play a huge part here. The Panthers have opened the season by splitting a pair of meetings with Sunshine State rival Tampa Bay, and they've been very lively on the offensive end of the rink firing a total of 84 shots on goal.

Possible let down spot for the visitors after a perfect start and my money is on Florida.

Posted : October 12, 2017 10:56 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Rickenbach

Penguins vs. Lightning
Play: Lightning -138

The Penguins prevented the Lightning from reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in 2016 when Pittsburgh knocked Tampa Bay out of the Eastern Conference Finals in a dramatic 4-3 series win. TB certainly wanted revenge last season but they truly were not a healthy team and had a tough season. The Pens took all 3 meetings last season. Now it is time for payback here and the Lightning are a much healthier team this season and also catch Pittsburgh in a tough scheduling spot. The Penguins had a big game at Washington last night and got a tight win over the Capitals. The Pens are now in the 2nd night of a back to back. Last week the Penguins also had a back to back game and they lost the 2nd one by a 10-1 count! The Lightning are 2-0 at home this season and they are well-rested here and that's notable because Tampa has won 25 of 37 when they enter a game off of 2 or more days of rest. The Penguins have lost 19 of 33 when playing the 2nd game of a back to back.

Posted : October 12, 2017 10:56 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Marc Lawrence

Texas State vs. UL-Lafayette
Play: UL-Lafayette -14

Edges - Ragin Cajuns: 4-0 SUATS in this series; and tied for the best red zone offense in the nation… Bobcats: 13 consecutive FBS losses… With Texas State’s offense averaging just 15 points and 307 yards per game, only one way to look here. We recommend a 1* play on LA Lafayette.

Posted : October 12, 2017 10:57 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chase Diamond

Chicago vs. Washington
Play: Washington +101

This game has the 2-2 Cubs at the 2-2 Nationals. Nationals have been living with the curse of never making it past this game and last year the Cubs took them out. Not sure why this line is so good for taking the Nationals we get the better team and pitcher at home. Yes public money is backing the Nats but with Geo Gonzalez going for them I think this is easy money.

Posted : October 12, 2017 10:58 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Feist

Minnesota at Chicago
Pick: Chicago

The Chicago Blackhawks are 3-0-1 to start their season and have scored the most goals thus far in the NHL (21). Their loss came in OT to the Maple Leafs last game, 4-3. Minnesota still looking for its first win after a 0-1-1 start. The Wild have allowed nine goals in just their two games, not a good omen here against the high scoring Hawks. Short line for a Blackhawks team playing well out of the gate and at home.

Posted : October 12, 2017 11:04 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Larry Ness

Dallas vs. Nashville
Pick: Nashville

The Nashville Predators didn't make much noise in the regular season last year but then opened the playoffs with an improbable four-game sweep of the Chicago Blackhawks, the Western Conference points leader. Nashville followed that by KOing the Blues and Ducks (each in six games) to reach the Stanley Cup Finals. Nashville fell behind Pittsburgh 2-0 in that series but won Games 3 and 4 at home to even the series. However, the defending champs were too much in the end, taking the final two games by scores of 5-0 and 2-0.
Dallas was a trendy preseason pick to win the Central Division after Ken Hitcock was hired for a second go-around with the Stars (he was fired in early February by St Louis in what was supposed to be his final season with the Blues). Dallas was said to had a terrific off-season, landing goalie Ben Bishop and center Alex Radulov.

The Stars started with 2-1 and 4-2 losses to Vegas and St Louis but Dallas earned its first victory of the new season Tuesday, 4-2 at home over the Red Wings. Hitchcock earned his 782nd win to move into a tie with Al Arbour for third place on the all-time list. "I was thinking on the bench that we've played three great hockey games, and it would have felt poorly to not finish this off," Hitchcock said. "I thought this was the best balance we've had. This looked like something you could really build on." One reason for Hitchock's satisfaction with his team's play is the pressure applied by Dallas, which has unleashed 119 shots on goal through the first three games. Ben Bishop, who was injured in the season opener, earned his first win with the Stars by making 23 saves.

The Predators also know about slow starts, losing 4-3 at Boston in their season-opener and then losing a Stanley Cup rematch at Pittsburgh, 4-0 on Saturday (third straight shutout at the hands of the Pens). It appeared as if the Preds were headed for their third loss in as many games Tuesday night, after giving up five unanswered goals to the Flyers. However, Nashville scored twice in the final 77 seconds to stun the Flyers 6-5, providing a fitting end to a home opener in which Nashville raised its Western Conference championship banner from last season. Filip Forsberg led the charge back from a two-goal deficit by scoring twice in the third period, including the game-winner with 35.6 seconds to play. Forsberg sandwiched two goals around a tying tally by Scott Hartnell, who also scored twice in the contest. "He's one of the best guys in front of the net," Forsberg said of Hartnell, who was signed away from the Columbus Blue Jackets in the off-season. "You see that on the first (goal). He's just shooting for anything and it goes in."

The Predators have allowed 13 goals in their first three games, something they will have to cut down on in order to position themselves for a division title and a long playoff run. Veteran Pekka Rinne didn't turn it on until the postseason last year but the Preds surely don't want to wait that long, again. Nashville's first two losses came on the road but the team's first win of the new season on Tuesday, was at home. Nashville went 9-2 on home ice during last year's playoffs and my bet says the Preds win again, extending their 10-2 run at Bridgestone Arena to 11-2. After all, Bishop is just 1-3-1 with a 3.56 goals-against average against the Predators.

Posted : October 12, 2017 11:05 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Feist

Philadelphia at Carolina
Play: Carolina -3

A pair of 4-1 teams clash under the lights here on Thursday Night. The Eagles had a dominating performance last Sunday at home against the Cardinals, 34-7. QB Carson Wentz had 4 TD's, 21 of 30 passing for 304 yards and 1 INT. In addition, RB LeGarette Blunt rushed for 74 yards. The Panthers are off their win at Detroit, 27-24. That was two impressive wins in a row for Carolina after beating New England two weeks ago, 33-30. The one knock against the Eagles has been their road play, going just 3-7 ATS in their last 10 away games. The favorite has covered four straight in this series. This should be an excellent contest, but I'm sticking with the Panthers here on Thursday.

Posted : October 12, 2017 11:06 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Buster Sports

Blues at Panthers
Play: Under 5.5

The St. Louis Blues finish their four games in six days road trip with a visit to the Panthers in Sunrise tonight. We are going to be on the UNDER here. The Panthers with new HC Bob Boughner have played more of an offensive style game the first two contests, but we believe the opposition of the defensive minded Blues will change that tonight. The Blues in four games this year are allowing their opposition an average of only 2.25 goals per game. The Panthers have had a weird scheduling to start the year, as they have not played since Saturday. We believe this will have an effect on them in the first half of the game against a strong St. Louis club keeping this under the posted total. Backing our selection is the fact that the Under is 8-3 in the last 11 meetings in Florida between the clubs and the fact that the Under is 4-0 in the Blues last 4 in the fourth game of a 4-in-6 days situation.

Posted : October 12, 2017 11:09 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jimmy Boyd

Texas State vs. UL Lafayette
Play: Texas State +14

Texas State comes in having failed to cover 3 straight and haven't won a game since beating Houston Baptist in their opener. The betting public wants nothing to do with this team and oddsmakers know it and I believe they have inflated this line to where all the value is with the Bobcats. Lafayette is simply getting too much respect for a team that doesn't play any defense. The Ragin' Cajuns come into this one 126th in the country against the run (265.2 ypg) and 91st against the pass (241.4 ypg). They are allowing on average 65 yards above their opponents average. You also have to look at who Texas State has played. They had a stretch where they played @ Colorado, hosted Appalachian State and UTSA and visited Wyoming. They were competitive early against ULM last week before fading down the stretch. I look for a more complete effort here in a prime time game and only college football contest on tap for Thursday. It's also worth pointing out that Lafayette has had trouble covering against bad teams. They are just 6-18 ATS at home against teams that have won 25% or less of their games. They are also just 9-22 ATS in their last 31 against teams that allow 31+ ppg.

Posted : October 12, 2017 12:28 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

My free play is on the College Football total, as I think Sun Belt rivals Texas State and Louisiana-Lafayette will soar past the posted number tonight.

Texas State, which has lost five in a row, has allowed 44, 45 and 45 in its last three games. Traveling to play the Cajuns is no easy chore, and we could be in store for a huge blowout.

I won't speculate, however, as ULL's defense has been horrible the entire season, aside from its last game, at Idaho. The Cajuns allowed an average of 53.75 points per game in their first four contests.

I think both defenses will make both offensive units look real good tonight. Play this one high.

3* Texas State/UL Lafayette Over

Posted : October 12, 2017 3:17 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: