1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

2017 NFL Draft Grades
By Brian Edwards
VegasInsider.com

Like I’ve always said, grading drafts is a tad ridiculous in the sense that nobody is right or wrong today. One can only claim being correct or get scolded for being off the mark a few years down the line. And in some instances, right or wrong can’t be judged for another 3-5 years.

So with that factoid out of the way, let’s throw out some opinions. We’ll do so with confidence today, hoping they’ll look good as we move into the 2020s.

1) Cleveland: DE Myles Garrett (Texas A&M) - This was the right move. My guess is that at least 80 percent of the teams in the NFL had Garrett at the top of their board. There certainly wasn’t a quarterback worthy of the top pick. Grade: B+

2) Chicago: QB Mitch Trubisky (North Carolina) - Where do we start here?! The Bears gave up a third and a fourth-round pick for this year and next season’s third-round choice just to move up one spot. They committed $18.5 million to Mike Glennon in free agency. Also, ESPN.com’s Chris Mortensen reported that John Fox had no idea the club was gunning for Trubisky until a few hours before the draft. Talk about an organization mired in dysfunction! To his credit, Trubisky had outstanding numbers at UNC, including a 41/10 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 67.5 completion percentage. And I won’t use the ‘couldn’t-beat-out-Marquise-Williams mantra’ that so many pundits are today. Williams, as a matter of fact, was an exceptional college QB who brought more dynamic running skills to Larry Fedora’s offense. But still, Trubisky only started 13 college games. He has no experience operating an offense under center. In closing, I don’t believe Trubisky is the best QB in the draft and really don’t even consider him a first-round talent, and Chicago gave away three picks to get him, moving up merely one slot to do so. That’s horrible. Grade: F

3) San Francisco: DE Solomon Thomas (Stanford) - New GM John Lynch gets high marks for his first actions in the Draft. As noted, he swindled the Bears out of three picks and still most likely got the player the 49ers wanted all along. Even if Thomas doesn’t work out as expected, San Francisco will get three other players to make up for it. Grade: A+

4) Jacksonville: RB Leonard Fournette (LSU) - This move might work out, but I still don’t like it. Fournette is a beast, a helluva player with all the traits you want in a workhorse running back. However, there are questions about his threshold for pain. Whether or not it was Fournette simply trying to make sure he made it to the Draft to get paid for him and his family’s future (very understandable, let’s not forget Marcus Lattimore) or he really couldn’t shake a mild ankle injury for more than a month during his junior campaign, remains unclear. Regardless, you don’t take a RB this early. And there were RBs (like FSU’s Dalvin Cook) who risked their health for their teams in bowl games and came out just fine (and in Cook’s case, put on a performance for the ages in leading his team to an upset win at the Orange Bowl in his hometown). Grade: C-

5) Tennessee: WR Corey Davis (Western Michigan) - Davis is NFL-ready and should be a big-time contributor right away. Grade: B

6) New York Jets: SS Jamal Adams (LSU) - The Jets needed help in the secondary and got the best DB in this Draft. Well done. Grade: B+

7) San Diego: WR Mike Williams (Clemson) - A scary Week 1 neck injury sidelined him for the 2015 season, but he came back strong this past year. I like the Chargers going for a WR because I believe Philip Rivers has 2-3 more really good years left in him. Williams is a big target and should be solid. Grade: B-

8 ) Carolina: RB Christian McCaffrey (Stanford) Again, too early for a RB. And this sort of makes me feel like Cam Newton will be the between-the-tackles runner and McCaffrey is the threat to run on the perimeter. That’s obviously not great for Newton’s shelf life into the future. McCaffrey can be a factor on special teams, though, so that’s a positive. Grade: C

9) Cincinnati: WR John Ross (Washington) - Another player who can make an impact on special teams. I worry about his lack of size, but this guy has some serious wheels. Grade: B

10) Kansas City: QB Patrick Mahomes (Texas Tech) - I love Mahomes. Dynamic player with elusiveness in the pocket and a big arm. He keeps plays alive and might be the best QB in this Draft. With that said, KC had to send this year’s first-rounder (#27) and third-rounder (#91), in addition to next year’s first-round pick to move up 17 spots. We’ll see. Grade: B-

11) New Orleans: CB Marshon Lattimore (Ohio St.) - Mickey Loomis might have made a mistake – along with 16 other teams – by passing on Jonathan Allen, but the Saints were certainly in dire need of an elite cover corner. They got one of the best in this draft, but could’ve addressed this position at No. 42 (and possibly selected Teez Tabor or Quincy Wilson, both of whom might turn out as good as Lattimore (or better). Grade: B+

12) Houston: QB Deshaun Watson (Clemson) - The Texans had to ship their first-round choice (#25) and next season’s first-rounder to move up 13 slots. It will have been worth the risk if Watson can enjoy similar success at the next level compared to his legendary collegiate career. Grade: B+

13) Arizona: LB Haason Reddick (Temple) - Key cog in the Owls’ elite defenses under Matt Rhule the last few years. I like it. Grade: A-

14) Philadelphia: DE Derek Barnett (Tennessee) - Best pass rusher in the Draft. He’ll be a perennial Pro-Bowler. Took it to some of the nation’s best OTs each week in SEC play. Grade: A

15) Indianapolis: FS Malik Hooker (Ohio St.) - Solid pick. He should star immediately. Grade: B+

16) Baltimore: CB Marlon Humphrey (Alabama) - CB was a need and the Ravens get a good one here. Grade: A-

17) Washington: DT Jonathan Allen (Alabama) - No clue how Allen slipped out of the top five. For him to fall out of the Top 15 is absolutely unfathomable. This guy is a 300-pounder who scores touchdowns. Seriously! Without question, the best pick of the first round. Grade: A+

18 ) Tennessee: CB Adoree Jackson (USC) - Solid corner who can help in the return game as well. Grade: B

19) Tampa Bay: TE O.J. Howard (Alabama) - Huge get for the Bucs and Jameis Winston. I think Howard will be a perennial Pro-Bowler. Grade: A

20) Denver: OT Garett Bolles (Utah) - The Broncos needed an OT badly and they get a good one here. One negative: Bolles is already 25 years old. Grade: B

21) Detroit: LB Jarrad Davis (Florida) - Davis is great against the run, defending sideline to sideline. His work in coverage has improved. Tremendous character. He might be the Lions’ next Chris Spielman. Grade: A-

22) Miami: DE Charles Harris (Missouri) - Harris can get to the QB. Every team needs that. Nice pick. Grade: B+

23) New York Giants: TE Evan Engram (Ole Miss) This is an outstanding late-career gift to Eli Manning. The fellow Rebel has elite speed for a tight end and doesn’t drop many. He’ll be a big factor right away. Grade: A

24) Oakland: CB Gareon Conley (Ohio St.) I think there were better corners available. Grade: C

25) Cleveland: SS Jabrill Peppers (Michigan) - This is the pick Cleveland received in the trade with Houston. Peppers can play either safety position and be a factor on special teams. Grade: B-

26) Atlanta: LB Takkarist McKinley (UCLA) - This was a need, but the Falcons had to trade three picks (their 1st, 3rd and 7th -- #31, #95 and #249) to move up five spots. He had 17 sacks and six forced fumbles in three years with the Bruins. Bottom line: I trust Thomas Dimitroff. Grade: B

27) Buffalo: CB Tre’Davious White (LSU) - Buffalo moved down from No. 10 to get here. The Bills also received a third-rounder (#91) and KC’s No. 1 next season. And they still addressed a major need with one of the Draft’s best cover corners. Excellent work. Grade: A

28 ) Dallas: DE Taco Charlton (Michigan) - Consistency was an issue at Michigan. We shall see. Grade: C

29) Cleveland: TE David Njoku (Miami) - The Browns traded their second-rounder (#33) and their fourth (#108) to move up four spots and back into the first round. Grade: C

30) Pittsburgh: LB T.J. Watt (Wisconsin) - Good DNA, obviously. The Steelers needed a pass rusher. They got one. Grade: B

31) San Francisco: Rueben Foster (Alabama) - The 49ers moved up three spots by dealing their second-rounder for Seattle’s first choice. They had to send the Seahawks their fourth-round selection (#111). It will be well worth it. Foster is a top-10 talent who is NFL-ready after playing in Nick Saban’s program. Lynch!! You see, being an NFL GM is not rocket science. Another great move. Grade: A

32) New Orleans: OT Ryan Ramczyk (Wisconsin) – Hard to complain about addressing more protection for Drew Brees. But don’t the Saints need to be improving their talent core on the other side of the ball? Grade: C

Posted : April 30, 2017 10:21 am
Share: