Clear all

Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Sunday, February 26th, 2017

30 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Free Picks forSunday, February 26th, 2017 , from some of the nations best and worst handicappers

Posted : February 26, 2017 10:09 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DAVE COKIN

DETROIT AT GREEN BAY
PLAY: DETROIT +10.5

Things are pretty well settled for most of the Horizon teams. Valparaiso and Oakland are still vying for the top seed. The other eight teams are just finalizing the regular season and getting ready for the league event.

It’s revenge here for Green Bay, as they lost by one at Detroit earlier after blowing a big lead. But with this game being otherwise meaningless for the most part, I can see it being loosely played.

That’s something that could work in Detroit’s favor. Less defense means fewer turnovers for the sloppy Titans, and if this become a shootout I suspect they can stay with GB. Getting ten or better was the key for me as I think this can be competitive, so the doubles and Detroit are the play.

Posted : February 26, 2017 10:10 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bruce Marshall

George Mason/George Washington Over 142.5

George Mason has been a consistent "over" performer as this season has progressed and expect this local Beltway A-10 battle at GW to easily clear the low 140s "total" much as the first meeting back in Fairfax on Jan. 25 went 155. It's been "overs" four straight and nine of ten for the Patriots, while the host Colonials are "over" five of their last seven games.

Posted : February 26, 2017 10:11 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Feist

Illinois vs. Nebraska
Play: Under 134½

A pair of defensive teams, with Illinois on a 9-2 under the total run, off 66-50 win over Northwestern. The Under is 45-18 in the Fighting Illini's last 63 road games. Nebraska is at home, just #13 in scoring in Big 10 in scoring, home from two-game trip. That included winning 58-57 at Ohio State, going under the total by 24 points. They prefer a slow pace, and the Under is 3-1-1 in the last five meetings.

Posted : February 26, 2017 10:12 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Marc Lawrence

Pelicans vs. Thunder
Play: Pelicans +5½

Edges - Pelicans: 6-1 ATS following a loss in this series; and 6-2 ATS as dogs of 7 or more points following the Mavericks. Thunder: 0-3-1 ATS before facing the Jazz. With the Pelicans 18-8-1 ATS following a loss when playing with same season triple revenge-exact, we recommend a 1* play in New Orleans.

Posted : February 26, 2017 10:12 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Frank Jordan

Syracuse vs. Louisville
Play: Syracuse +10

Syracuse is coming off an amazing win over Duke hitting a deep three as time expired while Louisville lost at North Carolina big time on the same night. Syracuse improves to 17-12 with the victory and are looking to avenge to loss from a few games ago when Louisville beat them 76-72 in their place. Louisville is currently #7 in the country with a 22-6 mark, but can't hang with the big boys with each of their last three losses coming at the hands of top 12 teams and the seven wins coming against unranked reams in their last 10 games. Louisville is third in the ACC with a 10-5 mark with Syracuse further down at 9-7. Louisville is 14-1 at home while Syracuse is 2-7 on the road and 3-4 against ranked teams. Both of these teams score in the upper 70's on the year and Syracuse is a giant killer. Look for the Orange to go into Louisville and come away a victor as they are still thinking about the loss last time out to North Carolina where they had 16 turnovers and the slippery ball makes another appearance as they try too hard and put too much pressure on themselves leading to a 78-75 victory by the Orange as Syracuse starts their late season run they are known for.

Posted : February 26, 2017 10:13 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

TJ Masterline

San Diego Padres vs. Seattle Mariners
Play: Seattle Mariners -130

The Seattle Mariners slugged their way to a 13-3 victory over the San Diego Padres. This Mariners team is ready for action this year, expecting to have a good year. That continues today. The Mariners made more trades than any team in baseball this offseason. When the dust cleared, they improved their outfield defense, team speed and starting pitching depth. They finally improved at shortstop with a much better offensive player when they landed Segura in a trade with the Diamondbacks, which also included the acquisition of right fielder Haniger.

Posted : February 26, 2017 10:13 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Alex Smart

Syracuse vs. Louisville
Play: Louisville -10

The No. 7 Cardinals (22-6, 10-5 ACC) needed overtime to beat the Orange (17-12, 9-7) at the Carrier Dome a couple of weeks ago. This time around Im betting Cardinals HC Pitino and company will be well prepared to play a complete game here at home, where they have previously won 24 straight games in a rematch of game they played on the road earlier in a season. The Orange are just 2-9 SU on the road this season while the Cardinals are 14-1 SU in the KFC Yum Center.

SYRACUSE is 0-6 ATS in road games versus good defensive teams - allowing a shooting pct defense of 42% or less this season, losing SU by an average of 12.4 ppg.LOUISVILLE is 10-3 ATS versus teams like the Orange who attempt 21 or more 3 point shots/game, winning SU by an average of 16.5 ppg, behind the best 3-point defense in the nation( allowing treys at just 23.5 percent shooting).

Posted : February 26, 2017 11:02 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Teddy Davis

Wizards -2½

I don't think the Wizards are getting enough respect here as they are 24-7 @ home and 20-7 ATS @ home. They will bounce back after dropping one to the Sixers first game after All Star Break. The Jazz are a good young team as well but in the road underdog role they are very bad 2-10 ATS.

Posted : February 26, 2017 11:03 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tony George

Wisconsin vs. Michigan State
Play: Wisconsin -2

Tom Izzo needs a miracle to beat the Badgers today who have dropped 3 out of 4, lost a lead in the Big 10 race to Purdue and will be dialed in for this game big time. This is where losing Harris for MSU kicks in and despite some late season surging by Sparty, they simply are a year a away from winning big games like this when it counts. Happ and Hayes fro Wisconsin should get the job done in the paint and Koenig found his karma again in the last game and his shooting can be deadly against an MSU team who simply is out manned here despite this being their last regular season home game.

Posted : February 26, 2017 11:03 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Winning Angle

George Mason +3.5

George Mason has covered the spread in 10 of the last 14 games when playing as an underdog and they have covered the spread in 6 of the last 7 games after having lost two of the last three games. George Mason has covered the spread in 28 of the last 35 games after allowing 75 points or more in two straight games and they are averaging 77 points in their last five games.

Cincinnati -5.5

Cincinnati has won 53 of the last 67 games when playing as a favorite and they have won 39 of the last 53 games vs. conference opponents. Cincinnati has won 41 of the last 59 games when playing their 2nd game in a week and they are only allowing an average of 58 points in road games this season.

Butler -2

Butler has won 51 of the last 66 games when playing as a favorite and they have won 40 of the last 60 games when playing their 2nd game in a week. Butler has won 32 of the last 43 games coming off an OVER the total in their last game and they are averaging 79 points in their last five games.

Memphis +1.5

Memphis has won 132 of the last 183 games when the total posted is between 130 and 139.5 points and they have won 307 of the last 365 home games. Memphis has won 62 of the last 88 games after allowing 80 points or more in their last game and they have won 45 of the last 60 games coming off two or more road games.

Posted : February 26, 2017 11:59 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

Sunday comp play release is to lay the road wood with Oakland as they play at Wisconsin Milwaukee.

The Golden Grizzlies are now 23-7 on the season, and sport a rock-solid 8 game winning streak that has seen them cover in each of their last 5 wins.

Oakland's current streak started with a 9-point home overtime win over the Panthers, and while Wisconsin Milwaukee wound up covering that one getting a dozen points, that was the start of the Panthers current 8-game losing streak.

Wisconsin Milwaukee's 8 game skid has seen them cover just twice in their last 7 setbacks. The Panthers are also 3-6-1 against the spread at home this season while the Golden Grizzlies are 7-4 against the spread in their lined road contests.

Oakland is playing like they are going to be the Horizon rep at this year's Big Dance, and I don't see them getting tripped up today in Milwaukee.

Lay the road wood with Oakland.

4* OAKLAND

Posted : February 26, 2017 12:11 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

My free play for Sunday is on the Houston Cougars, who have won six of their last seven and will be looking for revenge against the Memphis Tigers.

Memphis claimed a 70-67 win in overtime in the first meeting on Jan. 19.

Houston (19-8, 10-5 American) comes into this game after a 75-70 home win over UConn on Wednesday. The Cougars rallied from a 10-point halftime deficit to sweep the regular-season series against the Huskies.

Houston holds a one-game lead for third place in the current league standings. Most importantly, a win today means the Cougars will clinch a First-Round bye for The American Championships.

The Tigers (18-10, 8-7 American) are sixth in the latest American Athletic Conference standings, and have dropped its last three games and four of its last five.

Take the Cougars today.

1* HOUSTON

Posted : February 26, 2017 12:12 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

My free play takes us to the Apple State, for the rivalry game between Washington and Washington State, and my money is on the Cougars on Senior Day.

WSU will honor its four seniors: Charles Callison, Conor Clifford, Josh Hawkinson and Ike Iroegbu prior to the game.

I know the road team has won three of the last four meetings in the rivalry matchup, but that includes this year's first meeting, as Washington State defeated Washington in Seattle, 79-74, to start the Pac 12 campaign on Jan. 1.

Eight of the last 10 meetings have been decided by five points or less, so I do expect a close game. But I also believe the Cougars will be the winner in the end. At a pick, that's all I need.

Take Washington State here.

4* WASHINGTON STATE

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free play for tonight is on the Washington Wizards, minus the points at home against the visiting Utah Jazz. I know the Jazz (36-22) have the better overall record, but I honestly believe the Wizards (34-21) are the better team.

Washington was arguably the hottest team in the league heading into the All-Star break, sporting an 18-3 mark in its final 21 games before the break.

The Wizards fell 120-112 at the Philadelphia 76ers on Friday night, in what should have been a solid wake-up call.

Though Washington is facing the stingiest defense in the league today - Utah allows 95.7 points per game - I think at home, the Wizards will be out to avenge Friday's loss.

3* WIZARDS

Page 1 / 2
Share: