Clear all

NBA Betting News and Trends For Sunday, April 8, 2018

9 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Betting news, trends, odds and predictions for Sunday, April 8, 2018 from various handicappers and websites

Posted : April 7, 2018 10:20 pm
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Atlanta Hawks vs. Boston Celtics Preview and Predictions 04-08-2018

7th April 2018 by Gracenote
The Boston Celtics will continue their playoff preparation with a limited roster when they host the Atlanta Hawks on Sunday afternoon. The Celtics will open the postseason as the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference against Miami, Milwaukee or Washington, and they already know they will be operating without several key players.

With starters Al Horford and Jayson Tatum sitting Friday night, Boston rode the second career triple-double by center Greg Monroe to a 111-104 win over the Chicago Bulls to surpass last season's win total. "Guys were resting, guys are hurt," Monroe told reporters. "I guess (the offense) was running through me by default, I guess. But it was just about moving the ball." The Celtics were playing their first game since learning that All-Star guard Kyrie Irving would miss all of the postseason and the team responded by shooting 55.6 percent from the floor. The Hawks have nearly clinched the worst record in the East but they knocked off another playoff team - the Washington Wizards - on the road Friday night.

TV: 1 p.m. ET, FS Southeast (Atlanta), NBCS Boston

ABOUT THE HAWKS (23-57): Rookie Tyler Dorsey is making the most of his opportunities down the stretch and produced a personal-best 22 points in the 103-97 victory over the Wizards. "They made a little run in the fourth and we just battled back," Dorsey told reporters. "And we just made big shots. Timely passes, timely shots.and we finished the game strong with big plays." The Oregon product is averaging 18.5 points in April while making 12-of-24 3-pointers.

ABOUT THE CELTICS (54-25): Boston will lean heavily on Jaylen Brown in the postseason and the second-year pro collected a career-high 32 points in the win over the Bulls. "No Al, no J.T. tonight. Coach told me to be aggressive," Brown told the media. "So just coming out and playing basketball and trying to be aggressive. Going into the playoffs, this group we have now is all we've got." The Celtics did get point guard Shane Larkin (illness) back from a two-game layoff and he produced six assists off the bench.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. The Celtics were 7-of-17 from the foul line against Chicago after going 25-of-28 at Toronto two nights earlier.

2. Hawks SF Taurean Prince scored at least 20 points in nine of his last 14 games to raise his season average to 13.7.

3. Boston took the first three meetings this season, including a 119-110 triumph in the lone encounter at TD Garden.

PREDICTION: Celtics 106, Hawks 98

Posted : April 8, 2018 9:57 am
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Indiana Pacers vs. Charlotte Hornets Preview and Predictions 04-08-2018

The Indiana Pacers look to be settling into the No. 5 spot in the Eastern Conference after dropping a 92-73 decision to the top-seeded Toronto Raptors on Friday in a rare off night offensively. The Pacers will try to rebuild some momentum with the playoffs approaching when they visit the Charlotte Hornets on Sunday in the final road game of the regular season.

Indiana, which hosts Charlotte in the season finale on Tuesday, set season lows for points, made field goals (29) and field-goal percentage (29.9) in Friday's setback while playing the second night of a back-to-back after topping defending champion Golden State at home on Thursday. "Looking at the schedule, we knew this was going to be a challenge and we thought we would give our guys a shot and see how the guys would play," Pacers coach Nate McMillan told reporters. "Toronto did exactly what we expected; coming out front, push the tempo. We played an emotional game last night, and coming on a back-to-back, they pressured us, they pushed the tempo and we just didn't have any legs." The East postseason is beginning to come into focus, and it looks like Indiana could begin by visiting the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round. The Hornets snapped a four-game slide on Friday by blasting the Orlando Magic 137-100.

TV: 1 p.m. ET, FS Indiana, FS Southeast (Charlotte)

ABOUT THE PACERS (47-33): Indiana is ready to write off Friday's performance as an outlier in an otherwise strong stretch that saw it win six of eight and beat the Warriors twice. "It was just one of those nights where we just couldn't get anything offensively," Pacers All-Star guard Victor Oladipo told reporters. "We were getting open looks but we just couldn't make them. We still played great yesterday and it's a tough place to come and play after playing a team like that yesterday." Indiana did not have a starter score more than five points on Friday and reserve shooting guard Glenn Robinson III led the way with 12 points in 20 minutes.

ABOUT THE HORNETS (35-45): Charlotte is giving expanded minutes to the younger players on the roster and continues to get strong performances from rookie shooting guard Malik Monk. The 20-year-old Kentucky product scored a season-high 26 points on 8-of-14 shooting and added a season-best eight assists while going 4-of-6 from 3-point range on Friday. "Malik was really cooking in terms of decision making. Eight assists, one turnover and he easily could have had three or four more assists," Hornets coach Steve Clifford told reporters. "We shot the ball so well and when you shoot like that, it makes everything else look better, too."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Pacers PG Darren Collison went 1-of-7 from the floor on Friday after going a combined 16-of-23 in the previous three contests.

2. Hornets C Willy Hernangomez scored in double figures in each of the last four games and posted a pair of double-doubles in that span.

3. Charlotte earned a 133-126 home win over Indiana on Feb. 2 behind 41 points and nine assists from Kemba Walker.

PREDICTION: Pacers 118, Hornets 109

Posted : April 8, 2018 9:58 am
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Dallas Mavericks vs. Philadelphia 76ers Preview and Predictions 04-08-2018

The Philadelphia 76ers are the hottest team in the Eastern Conference and put themselves in the driver's seat for the No. 3 seed in the playoffs by holding off the Cleveland Cavaliers on Friday. The 76ers will try to get one step closer to clinching that No. 3 spot and avoid a letdown when they host the Dallas Mavericks on Sunday.

Philadelphia nearly squandered a 30-point lead but held on for a 132-130 win over LeBron James and the Cavaliers on Friday to run their winning streak to 13 straight - the longest for the franchise since the 1984-85 squad also won 13 in a row. "I think it was big," rookie point guard Ben Simmons told reporters. "Beating a team like (Cleveland) without a star (center Joel Embiid), I think everyone is coming together as a team." The 76ers need one more win to clinch their first 50-win season since the 2000-01 squad led by Allen Iverson won 56 games and reached the NBA Finals. Dallas is playing its final road game of 2017-18 on Sunday and dropped the first two of the three-game trip at Orlando and Detroit.

TV: 1 p.m. ET, NBATV, FS Southwest (Dallas), NBCS Philadelphia

ABOUT THE MAVERICKS (24-56): Dallas played hard the last two games with a five-point loss to the Magic and an overtime setback at the Pistons, and the young players are making the most of expanded minutes. Rookie power forward Johnathan Motley is getting an opportunity to start with future Hall of Famer Dirk Nowitzki (ankle) done for the season and followed up 14 points in 41 minutes on Wednesday with his first career double-double and season highs of 26 points and 12 boards on Friday. "He played great and you've got to tip your cap to our player development people, our G League people," coach Rick Carlisle told reporters of Motley. "(Texas Legends coach) Bob MacKinnon coached him all year and got him ready for this opportunity. Look, he's getting the minutes. Every player says, 'Hey, if I got the minutes I can get it done.' He's getting it done and doing good things."

ABOUT THE 76ERS (49-30): Simmons collected 27 points on 12-of-17 shooting, 15 rebounds, 13 assists and four steals in Friday's win and is carrying the team while Embiid (eye) recovers. "I know Ben really embraces the challenge of playing against LeBron," Philadelphia coach Brett Brown told reporters. "It didn't surprise me he had a big game, when you look at the stat line, and you see a triple-double, a significant triple double. It really didn't surprise me. He's been doing a lot lately that doesn't catch me as much off guard as it used too." Simmons is averaging 14.6 points, 11.1 assists and 10.3 rebounds during the 13-game winning streak.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Mavericks SF Dorian Finney-Smith recorded his first career double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds on Friday.

2. 76ers SG JJ Redick is averaging 21.6 points over the last seven games to raise his season mark to 16.9.

3. Philadelphia earned a 112-110 win at Dallas on Oct. 28 as Simmons collected 23 points, eight assists and seven boards.

PREDICTION: 76ers 121, Mavericks 103

(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Detroit Pistons vs. Memphis Grizzlies Preview and Predictions 04-08-2018

The Detroit Pistons were eliminated from postseason competition early this week, but that doesn't mean the team is giving up. The Pistons will try to secure their ninth win in 11 games and continue to carry momentum into the offseason when they visit the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday.

Detroit still has a shot at a .500 finish if it can win its final three games and squeezed out a 113-106 overtime victory over the Dallas Mavericks on Friday to keep hope alive. While most teams out of the race are shuffling rotations and handing more minutes to younger players, Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy let All-Star center Andre Drummond go for 42 minutes in Friday's win and had four starters log at least 35 minutes. The Grizzlies are not riding their veterans nearly as hard at the end of a lost season and turned the team completely over to players who were expected to do no more than provide some bench support at the beginning of the season. Shooting guard MarShon Brooks wasn't in the team's plans at all last summer but could be carving out a spot in the team's future.

TV: 3:30 p.m. ET, NBATV, FS Detroit, FS Southeast (Memphis)

ABOUT THE PISTONS (38-41): Detroit began to slip out of the race in the East when point guard Reggie Jackson went down with an ankle injury and missed nearly three months, but he is playing well since his return. Jackson scored a team-high 24 points on 11-of-18 shooting and added seven assists on Friday. "I'm just happy to be playing, happy to feel good, to go out there and be getting back to who I feel I am and try to get some explosion back," Jackson told reporters. "My teammates, they've been keeping me positive. Now I'm just happy to be out here helping the guys find ways to get wins."

ABOUT THE GRIZZLIES (21-58): Brooks spent the last three seasons playing in China and wasn't signed by Memphis until the end of last month but is wasting little time proving he can still score at the NBA level. The 29-year-old, who was a first-round draft pick by the Boston Celtics in 2011, scored more than 20 points in each of his first four games with the Grizzlies and is averaging 23.3 on 56.5 percent shooting after going for 23 in Friday's 94-93 home loss to Sacramento. "I'm very confident," Brooks told reporters. "I've always been a confident guy. I feel like I can always create my own shot or at least get a guy on my hip and create an advantage for myself and my teammates. The last couple games definitely helped. I'm definitely at a high."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Grizzlies rookie PF Ivan Rabb recorded season highs in assists (four) and blocks (three) on Friday.

2. Drummond is enjoying a string of nine straight double-doubles.

3. Detroit edged Memphis 104-102 at home on Feb. 1 behind 24 points from PF Blake Griffin, who is questionable for Sunday due to an ankle injury.

PREDICTION: Pistons 101, Grizzlies 92

(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Utah Jazz vs. Los Angeles Lakers Preview and Predictions 04-08-2018

The Utah Jazz are on the verge of clinching a spot in the Western Conference playoffs as they carry a four-game winning streak into a road matchup with the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday. The Jazz are in fourth place in the West entering Saturday and two games behind third-place Portland with three to play.

Utah took care of both Los Angeles teams - the Lakers and then the Clippers - in a 2-0 homestand that had the squad playing some of its best basketball at the perfect time. "We almost pulled off a complete 48-minute game," forward Jonas Jerebko told reporters after the 117-95 win over the Clippers on Thursday. "We played well at both ends of the floor and played Jazz basketball." The Lakers bounced back from their loss at Salt Lake City to defeat the San Antonio Spurs before falling to Minnesota 113-96 on Friday at home. Rookie star Kyle Kuzma suffered a left ankle sprain and is day-to-day as the season winds down.

TV: 6 p.m. ET, AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain (Utah), Spectrum SportsNet (Los Angeles)

ABOUT THE JAZZ (46-33): Seven different players scored in double figures and Utah shot 53 percent from the floor in the rout of the Clippers. Rookie Donovan Mitchell led the way with 19 points and Rudy Gobert made all six of his field-goal attempts en route to his ninth double-double in the last 13 games. "Tonight we were just tighter. We had more connectivity as a group," coach Quin Snyder told the media. "I think our guys understood what an important game this was. As you move forward every game matters in a significant way."

ABOUT THE LAKERS (34-45): Kuzma already was dealing with a right ankle injury and it might be time to think about shutting him down and getting a jumpstart on the offseason. "My body feels great. At the end of the day, it is just my ankles," he told reporters. "I can't tell you anything right now [about playing in the final three games] ... [this latest ankle injury is] just really throbbing. [It's] a little different than my last one. My last one was an inside sprain. This is an outside sprain." Fellow rookie Josh Hart continues to be a force on the boards, as the 6-5 swingman grabbed 11 rebounds against Minnesota and has hit double digits in the category in three of five games since returning from a hand injury.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Jazz PG Ricky Rubio, who scored 31 points in the win over the Lakers on Tuesday, left Thursday's game with hamstring soreness and is day-to-day.

2. Lakers SF Brandon Ingram (concussion) missed four straight contests.

3. Utah won the last five meetings.

PREDICTION: Jazz 111, Lakers 104

Posted : April 8, 2018 9:59 am
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Orlando Magic vs. Toronto Raptors Preview and Predictions 04-08-2018

The Toronto Raptors clinched the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs for the first time in franchise history with a dominating defensive performance on Friday and can spend the final three games of the regular season tuning up for the postseason. The Raptors will try to stay sharp when they host the Orlando Magic on Sunday.

"It just shows that once you put your mind toward something, work toward a goal, it can be accomplished," Toronto All-Star shooting guard DeMar DeRozan told reporters. "We did that. Now, we've got another goal that we want to reach as well. So, this gives us the confidence that we can do it and take it to another level." The Raptors set a franchise record with their 57th victory while knocking off the Indiana Pacers 92-73 on Friday - the second straight game in which they held an opponent under 80 points. Toronto is still waiting to find out its first-round opponent with the standings muddled from No. 6 to No. 8 in the East. The Magic will not be involved in the postseason and are looking for signs that some of the players taking on expanded roles down the stretch can help the team get back to the playoffs next season.

TV: 6 p.m. ET, NBATV, FS Florida (Orlando), Sportsnet One (Toronto)

ABOUT THE MAGIC (24-55): Orlando trailed by 45 points midway through the fourth quarter on Friday and ended up falling to the Charlotte Hornets 137-100. "That's not normally the situation that we're in, but we've just got to do a better job of competing," veteran point guard Shelvin Mack told the team's website. "We can't let the situation dictate our attitude and control the things that you can control." The positives in the loss came from the young players fresh out of the G League with Jamel Artis, Khem Birch, Rodney Purvis and Wesley Iwundu each scoring in double figures.

ABOUT THE RAPTORS (57-22): Toronto claimed the Atlantic Division for the fourth time in the last five seasons and is looking for its first trip to the NBA Finals. "There's a sense of gratification, watching the growth of the program ... from scratch to the No. 1 seed in our conference," Raptors coach Dwane Casey told reporters. "So, that's good. We're not satisfied. We still have some things to get done and work on and to accomplish, but I know everyone in that locker room had something to do with it." Toronto's depth is impressive enough that it can earn a 19-point win over another East playoff team like Indiana while getting just 21 points combined on 8-of-28 shooting from All-Stars Kyle Lowry and DeRozan.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Magic PF Aaron Gordon (calf) sat out Friday and is day-to-day.

2. Raptors PF Serge Ibaka went 5-of-7 from 3-point range and scored a season-high 25 points on Friday.

3. Toronto took the last three and six of the last eight in the series.

PREDICTION: Raptors 116, Magic 95

Posted : April 8, 2018 9:59 am
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Golden State Warriors vs. Phoenix Suns Preview and Predictions 04-08-2018

8th April 2018 by Gracenote
The Golden State Warriors will begin the playoffs at home but finish their regular season with two games on the road, beginning with Sunday's matchup against the Phoenix Suns. The Warriors, who rank second in the Western Conference, have lost two in a row and nine of their last 15 after falling 126-120 to New Orleans in their home finale on Saturday.

Golden State's last six opponents have scored an average of 116.5 points, and the team's current slide ensures that it will not reach the 60-win mark for the first time since 2014. "We're just going to keep going," Warriors coach Steve Kerr told reporters. "We're gonna have new life when the playoffs begin and I'm well aware what a long, difficult season it's been. So many things have been thrown at us in the last month, especially our injuries." The Suns snapped a franchise-record 15-game skid against Sacramento to open their homestand before falling 122-103 to New Orleans on Friday. Golden State has won each of its last 14 meetings with Phoenix, including the first three this season by an average of 23 points.

TV: 9 p.m. ET, NBCS Bay Area (Golden State), FS Arizona (Phoenix)

ABOUT THE WARRIORS (57-23): Kevin Durant led five starters in double figures with 41 points against the Pelicans, while five reserves combined for just 19. Quinn Cook made 5-of-7 3-pointers en route to 21 points for Golden State, which finishes the regular season at Utah on Tuesday. Durant collected 29 points and 11 rebounds while teammate Klay Thompson scored 23 points in the 117-107 win over Phoenix at home earlier this month.

ABOUT THE SUNS (20-60): Rookie Josh Jackson continued his solid stretch run with 22 points and 11 rebounds in the loss to the Pelicans, and he's showing his maturity. "Just wanting to learn every game," Jackson told reporters. "I've come a long way, I think, and I just owe it to being a student of the game and wanting to become better." Phoenix continues to operate without leading scorer Devin Booker, who is expected to miss his 11th straight game due to a hand injury.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Warriors SF Andre Iguodala (knee) returned from a four-game absence to contribute four points and five assists in 22 minutes off the bench against the Pelicans.

2. Suns PF Marquese Chriss reportedly is questionable due to hip pain.

3. Golden State has captured each of the last six meetings in Phoenix.

PREDICTION: Warriors 108, Suns 103

Posted : April 8, 2018 10:00 am
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Game of the Night - Utah at L.A. Lakers, AT&T SportsNet, 6:05 ET

The Jazz probably entered Saturday with expectations that they would have additional breathing room in their bid to make the playoffs. If the Pelicans and Spurs had each lost, they would’ve clinched a second consecutive postseason appearance on the heels of watching their franchise player walk away via free agency.

Instead, four of the five teams currently behind Utah entering the final few games of the regular season picked up victories. Oklahoma City and New Orleans pulled off road upsets the league’s top teams to notch their 46th win. San Antonio used a big fourth quarter to hold off No. 3 Portland. Denver eliminated the Clippers but tightened things up by matching idle Minnesota at 45-35.

The Jazz can still miss the playoffs, but the Trail Blazers losing to the Spurs kept the possibility of finishing as high as third and winning the Northwest alive. They’ll need help from Denver on Monday night but would control their own destiny on the road in Portland on Wednesday if they get that result and take care of business tonight and at home against Golden State on Tuesday.

It won't be easy, but entering Game 80 with a shot at a division title is a deal Coach of the Year candidate Quin Snyder and his staff would've gladly signed up for when the season began.

Utah is searching for its fifth straight win and will be looking to defeat the Lakers for the second time this week, having registered a 117-110 home victory on Tuesday. Ricky Rubio led the Jazz with 31 points on 10-for-15 shooting in addition to six boards and eight assists, so it wouldn’t be ideal if he’s unable to take part in this rematch. A hamstring issue that the Jazz know they have to be cautious with has put the Spanish guard’s availability in jeopardy for this one.

Soreness developed in Thursday’s 117-95 rout of the Clippers, forcing him to leave after just eight minutes. The Jazz are hoping that this injury won’t derail his momentum since he’s been dominant in April’s wins, shooting 63 percent from the field, including 10-for-15 from 3-point range. The Jazz are expected to determine his availability after shootaround.

Lakers rookie Kyle Kuzma, a University of Utah product, scored 26 points but is considered doubtful to play due to a sprained ankle. With Brandon Ingram out with a concussion and Lonzo Ball unlikely to play again this season due to knee soreness, the Lakers will likely depend on Julius Randle as the catalyst in this one. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope shot 5-for-9 from 3-point range and finished with 28 points for the Lakers in Salt Lake City, so he’ll also play a large role here.

Rookie Alex Caruso is starting at point guard for L.A., but Tyler Ennis has played better of late and should get more minutes. Josh Hart and Brook Lopez would likely get more looks if Kuzma can’t go.

Donovan Mitchell scored 26 points and is putting the finishing touches on his Rookie of the Year campaign, which would obviously be enhanced if he can add leading the Jazz to a division title on the resume in Game 82. He had a 10-game run of scoring 20 or more points snapped when he finished with 19 against the Clippers, shooting just 6-for-15.

Rudy Gobert scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in Thursday’s win over the Clippers that saw Dante Exum and Alec Burks rise up to combine with forward Jonas Jerebko for 36 points off the bench to provide a boost after Rubio’s early exit. Jae Crowder played fewer than five minutes due to a head injury but has been cleared to participate and should be back in a reserve role.

Utah is looking to sweep the Lakers for the second consecutive series and own a streak of six straight victories over L.A. The Jazz have won 10 of 11 in the series.

The over is 7-1 over Utah’s last seven. The Jazz surrendered 110 points in Tuesday’s home win against the Lakers but have only given up fewer than 100 in the five games surrounding that one. They lead the Western Conference in defensive efficiency, ranking only behind Boston and Philadelphia.

Injury report

Dallas is in Philly to battle the 76ers and has yet to make a decision on the availability of rookie point guard Dennis Smith Jr., power forward Dwight Powell and small forward Doug McDermott, but are committed to seeing guys they haven't gotten a long look at yet. That means two-way players Johnathan Motley and Jalen Jones will join point guard Kyle Collinsworth and Aaron Harrison on the floor in crunch time. Dirk Nowitzki and J.J. Barea have seen their last action this season.

The Pacers close with a home-and-home against the Hornets, who have opted to try and finish strong despite being eliminated. As a result, the odds have this as basically a pick'em as we await word on whether Nate McMillan will rest any of his Pacers or continue chasing an unlikely Central Division title.

Boston should get Jayson Tatum back in the lineup against the Hawks after giving him the night off against Chicago on Friday but will again give Marcus Morris the night off. Guards Dennis Schroder and Malcolm Delaney should miss another game, but that hasn't stopped Atlanta from being competitive with Isaiah Taylor and Damion Lee filling in. The Hawks have covered in three of four.

Marc Gasol will likely be rested as the Grizzlies strap on their tank gear for another home date against Detroit. JaMychal Green and Andrew Harrison are also expected to join Tyreke Evans, Chandler Parsons, Jarell Martin and Wayne Selden in suits on the bench. Marshon Brooks, Dillon Brooks and Ivan Rabb are getting long looks with the depleted Grizzlies.

Orlando will welcome back Terrence Ross for his first action since November, so the fact he's making his return in Toronto where he should receive a nice ovation provides a nice touch. According to the Orlando Sentinel, Frank Vogel wants to get him back in the mix since he felt it helped to get Paul George work back when he was returning from a broken leg in his Indy days. Although the Magic are tanking as well, Aaron Gordon (calf) and Nikola Vucevic (back) are also returning to challenge the Raptors.

Toronto has held its last two opponents in the 70s and will be playing its home regular-season finale having already wrapped up the Eastern Conference's top seed.

Tonight's finale sees Phoenix playing Golden State for the second straight Sunday night, hosting this time. Devin Booker and T.J. Warren will again be absent in addition to Tyson Chandler, Elfrid Payton and Alan Williams. Impressive rookie wing Josh Jackson, forward Marquese Chriss and shooter Troy Daniels are all questionable with nagging injuries. The Suns are in pole position to earn the No. 1 pick in the talent-filled '18 NBA Draft, having amassed the league's worst record through 80 games. They should lose No. 61 here given their depleted state, but we'll see what Steve Kerr does with his personnel coming off a home loss to New Orleans on Saturday night. Andre Iguodala has already been ruled out.
By Tony Mejia

Posted : April 8, 2018 10:04 am
Share: