Clear all

Free Service Plays For Wednesday 8/12/20

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Wednesday 8/12/20 thread for free handicapping service plays and expert predictions for MLB, NBA & NHL games.

Posted : August 12, 2020 9:14 am
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

Remember last season, when the Carolina Hurricanes were labeled as jerks by famed announcer Don Cherry, because of their post-game celebrations after victories.

Well, the Hurricanes are back; Cherry is not.

While Cherry was checked into the boards, and off the air for off-color remarks, the Hurricanes return to the postseason and face the defending Eastern Conference champion Boston Bruins. It's a rematch from last season's East Final, and I like the Hurricanes to come out blazing in this first game.

After all, teams that take Game 1 in a best-of-seven series boast an all-time series record of 478-219 (68.6%).

Boston swept Carolina in four games in last year's final, and that's why I think the Hurricanes must play for this win against the President's Trophy winner. There are 18 players that dressed for the Hurricanes during last year's Conference Final and return for this series, so you can bet revenge is on the brain here.

The one person I want you keeping an eye on is Sebastian Aho, who finished the qualifying round with eight points in three games (3 goals, 5 assists) - the second-most among all players. Aho is tied for second among all NHL skaters with eight points, while's tallied 20 points (8 goals, 12 assists) through 18 career postseason games, tying him with Eric Staal and Kevin Dineen for the most points by a skater through the first 18 games of their postseason career in franchise history.

Aho has proven to be comfortable against Boston's rugged and heavy lineup, too, as he's tallied 12 points (8 goals, 4 assists) in 10 career regular season games against the Bruins.

I don't care who gets the nod in goal tonight, as coach Rod Brind'Amour hasn't announced who tonight's starter will be (as of 9 am eastern), but much like Vegas with two quality goaltenders to choose from, the 'Canes have a dynamic duo.

Petr Mrazek and James Reimer combined to stop 94 of 98 shots faced during the Eastern Conference Qualifying Round vs. the New York Rangers, recording a 3-0 record, 1.33 goals-against average and .959 save percentage. Their combined 1.33 goals-against average is the third-lowest mark in a postseason series in franchise history.

Pricey dog, nice price, solid value.

Take Carolina.

1* HURRICANES

Chris Jordan

My free play for Wednesday is on the New York Islanders against the Washington Capitals.

It is going to be very important to establish themselves and make a statement in a very important Game 1, and as long as I have coach Barry Trotz on my side, I'm always going to feel I have value with the Isles.

The Islanders closed out their qualifying round series with a 5-1 win over the Florida Panthers in Game 4 to advance to the Stanley Cup playoffs for the second consecutive season, as Anthony Beauvillier scored twice including the game-winner while Josh Bailey, Mathew Barzal and Brock Nelson each tallied multi-point nights in the win.

Beauvillier led the Islanders with five points (3G,2A) in four games including two game-winning goals in the qualifying round, but it was a team effort from a well-round bunch that includes the always dangerous Mathew Barzal, who led the team with a plus-4 rating, and Devon Toews, who has posted a point in each of his last four post-season games dating back to May 2019. Toews has seven career points (1 goal, 6 assists) in 10 post-season games.

Jordan Eberle has also been impressive, having recorded three points (2 goals, 1 assist) in four games vs. Florida, and has 12 points (6 goals, 6 assists) in his last 12 post-season games.

The key number for us will be THREE, as the Islanders went 31-3-5 when they scored at least three goals (including shootout winners). They were 4-20-5 when they do not reach three goals. Under Trotz, the Islanders are 67-5-7 when scoring three or more in a game.

And while all that offense is great, to match Washington's firepower, the onus could fall on goaltender Semyon Varlamov, who turned aside 96 of the 103 shots he faced in the qualifying round while starting all four games. He is 4-6-1 against the Capitals, not great, but has a respectable 2.74 goals-against average and .924 save percentage against them.

Game 1 is important. And I'm playing the underdog.

4* ISLANDERS

Mitchell Newman

With the Pacers injury list - T.J Warren (foot), Malcolm Brogdon (neck), Myles Turner (neck) and Victor Oladipo (ankle) - all among the walking wounded coming into this afternoon meeting, and with Russell Westbrook likely to miss this game for the Rockets, it is probably best to look at the Under for this Indiana-Houston contest as these teams try and heal up for the upcoming postseason.

Indiana has played 2 of their last 3 and 3 of their last 5 games in the bubble Under the total, while Houston comes into this game having played 4 of their last 5 games in Orlando Under the total.

In the lone regular season meeting between the teams way back in November they did hold Under the posted price. That Under put the series numbers to 7 of the last 8 between the clubs Under the posted price.

Too many question marks surrounding players that can provide consistent scoring in this afternoon's meeting.

Go Under in the Pacers-Rockets game.

3* INDIANA-HOUSTON UNDER

Jack Brayman

Let's go with the Cleveland Indians tonight for my free MLB winner, as I like the advantage they have with the pitching matchup against the Chicago Cubs, who hand the ball to Kyle Hendricks.

Carlos Carrasco has been outstanding in his return to the starting rotation after last year's health issues, and he'll step to the hill after what was his best outing yet. He stifled the Cincinnati Reds to just one hit and four walks with eight strikeouts in six scoreless innings on Thursday. He is now 2-1 with a 2.50 ERA and 23 strikeouts through the first quarter of the season.

Menwhile, Hendricks has been sharp. I won't take anything from him. And now he'll face the Indians for the first time since seeing them in Game 7 of the 2016 World Series. What worries me is the fact he's allowing a lot of hits, and letting teams manufacture runs.

He's given up just one homer, but has allowed eight earned in 20.1 innings for a 3.54 ERA. In his lone road start this season, he was blasted for six runs on seven hits and three walks (one intentional) in just 4.1 innings of work. Now he faces a Cleveland team that is one game off the pace in the American League Central and that has a +16 run differential.

I'm siding with the home team here and banking on Carrasco.

1* INDIANS

Posted : August 12, 2020 9:23 am
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Mike Wynn

Free Pick: Cleveland w/Carrasco -120 over Chicago Cubs

Jim Feist

Jim Feist's Comp Pick, Wednesday August 12, 2020

8/12 04:10 PM MLB (921) MINNESOTA TWINS VS (922) MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Take: (921) MINNESOTA TWINS

Razor Sharp